As U.S. consumers trends continue to shift away from the traditional diet approach of eating three square meals each day, snack food sales have really taken off. Increasingly, consumers look for convenient, functional and better-for-you snack options that are better suited for their busy schedules. And while snack food sales in every category are up across the board, the savory snacks category has seen considerable growth over the past few years and now makes up 40% of snack sales in North America.
When it comes to making decisions about which snacks to buy, consumers cite taste as their primary deciding factor, and there’s no taste more sought after than the salty, cheesy, and spicy attributes of savory snacks.
With American consumers looking for healthier snack options, however, food manufacturers have had to get creative with their savory snack offerings. With more snacks hitting store shelves, brands are winning over health-conscious consumers by adding their favorite savory flavors to nutritious, functional snack foods.
Still not convinced you need to “spice-up” your nutritious snack offerings? Check out these 15 facts about savory snack foods:
- Sweet and savory snacks, including chips, cookies, snack bars, and nuts, is expected to reach $138.9 billion in U.S. sales by 2023 (source)
- More than 90% of U.S. households report eating a salty snack in a typical week (source)
- Lunch is the most frequently replaced meal at 49%, with peak snacking hours being between 1–4 p.m. (source)
- U.S. households spend an average of $133 annually on individual snack items (source)
- 51% of U.S. consumers report consuming 3 or more snacks per day (source)
- 84% of North American consumers eat snacks to satisfy hunger between meals, while 66% also eat snacks to provide nutrition (source)
- The average person snacks three times in a typical day. (source)
- 86% of U.S. consumers have used snacks as a meal replacement (source)
- 57% of consumers want all-natural snacks or snacks with natural ingredients (source)
- High protein bars dominate the market, accounting for 56% of the total protein bar market share (source)
- 26% of snackers say they do so to eat healthier and 32% say the snacks they eat are healthy (source)
- Individual bars, including health, meal replacements, weight management and cereal/granola bars, have seen the strongest absolute market growth of $633 million (source)
- 30% of consumers choose snacks for their wellness benefits, while 33% select snacks for indulgence (source)
- Chocolate snacks are expected to take up 60% of market sales for confectionary snacks by 2020 (source)
- The "on-the-go" snacking category grew at a CAGR of 10% between 2012–2016 (source)
How about now? Did those help change your mind?
For food manufacturers looking to create more functional savory snack foods, our Industry Insights whitepaper will tell you all about the latest snack food trends, as well as provide a first-hand look at how Grande WPCrisp® can be used to add a high-quality protein boost to your savory snack food applications.
Want to learn more? Just click the button below!